Have you ever wanted to learn more about the construction industry but don’t know where to start? Then we have the perfect opportunity for you! Teton Habitat is searching for an AmeriCorps National Service- Construction Crew Lead to service with us during the 2019-2020 service term.
This hands-on experience provides you an opportunity to learn and develop new skills and confidence while serving a critical role in helping Habitat homeowners achieve the strength, stability and self-reliance they need to build a better future for themselves and their families. You can get paid to serve on an active build site or at a local Habitat assisting homeowner families, volunteers and staff.
Construction Crew Leader
Construction crew leaders play an integral part in building and repairing more homes, leading to better neighborhoods and communities. As a construction crew leader, you will lead and develop groups of skilled and unskilled volunteers and homeowner families in construction activities all while maintaining a safe, efficient work environment. Using volunteer management techniques, you will manage volunteers and homeowner families as they assist in the building of new homes and/or repairing existing homes or completing weatherization projects. Together, you will perform hands-on construction tasks including, but not limited to, demolition, framing, insulation, drywall, flooring, roofing, finish carpentry and landscaping.
Please Note: while construction experience is helpful, it is not required.
• 18 years of age or older
• U.S. citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident
• High school diploma or GED equivalent (or agree to work towards one while serving)
• Valid driver’s license and ability to meet host site’s insurance requirements
• Previous experience with a residential homebuilder or a construction AmeriCorps member
• Experience with power tools• Ability to drive large pick-up trucks (or willingness to learn)• Knowledge of, and willingness to promote, the mission and activities of Habitat for Humanity International and AmeriCorps• Ability to work with a diverse group of people• Strong verbal communication skills• Experience working with volunteers, teaching or group facilitation• Experience working as a member of a larger team• Knowledge of community development practices• Basic experience with Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word and Excel
Benefits of Service:
• Living allowance minimum of $13,992 for a full 46½ weeks of service
• Segal Education Award of $6,095 (upon successful completion of service) – lifetime maximum of 2
• Affordable Care Act-compliant health plan.
• Personal and sick days — approximately 10 days total.
• Student Loan Forbearance (if eligible)
• Child Care Benefits (if eligible)
• Approx. 10 holidays (dependent on service location)
• Member Assistance Program (MAP) – offers free services, such as counseling and financial planning resources.
Habitat for Humanity of the Greater Teton Area
Jackson, WY and the Greater Teton Area is a beautiful, vibrant place to live with endless opportunities for outdoor exploration for individuals who have such a passion. Located just miles from Grand Teton National Park, Yellowstone National Park, Bridger Teton National Forest, and Targhee-Caribou National Forest, Jackson always offers you new places to explore. The need for housing in our community ranges from seasonal employees who seek short-term rentals to long-term residents of the community that wish to have the benefits of homeownership. Habitat for Humanity of the Greater Teton Area (Teton Habitat) brings people together to build homes, communities, and hope, creating long-term solutions for our housing crisis. Teton Habitat is the sole only housing provider building homes solely for members of the community who earn 30-80% of the Area Median Income. Our AmeriCorps member will play an integral role in providing leadership on our project sites, engaging volunteers to become champions for our mission, and building 16 homes in downtown Jackson. Join our Habitat family and form lasting relationships while creating affordable housing solutions with hard-working families.